And I purposely set aside some for baking!
I made this cotton cake, it was soft and fluffy, the my entire house was filled with the durian aroma when it was baking! Within 2 days, the cake was all gone! :)
5 egg yolks
1 whole egg
pinch of salt
120g durian meat
65g oil (I used canola oil)
90g cake flour - sieved
5 egg whites
1/4tsp cream of tartar
80g castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 160C and lined the bottom of an 6" tin.
- In a blender, beat egg yolks, 1 whole egg, salt, durian meat and milk till light and fluffy. Then add in the oil, blend a little while more till the mixture is well combined. Transfer to large mixing bowl and mix in flour until well combined. Set aside.
- Beat egg white till foamy, add in cream of tartar, then the sugar gradually, until egg white forms stiff peak.
- Mix in 1/3 of the meringue to the yolk batter, then fold in the balance by 2 portions. Making sure each portion is well-folded until you see no streaks of the meringue.
- Once done, transfer the batter to the baking tin. Tap on the table top few times to released the air bubbles and to level out the top.
- Send to bake in water-bath method, at 150C for 1hour.
- Once baked, remove from oven and invert the cake to cool.
- Sliced the cake once it is completely cooled/chilled.
*Note: Cake best served chilled!
Made with fresh durians! :)