Adapted and modified from Jeannie's recipe.
*6" square tin
5 egg yolk
1 whole egg
1/4 tsp salt
60g canola oil
70g gula melaka - chopped into smaller pieces
75g plain flour
5 egg whites
40g castor sugar
1/4tsp cream of tartar
- Grease and lined the base of the baking tin. Prepare a larger baking tin for waterbath.
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- Heat up milk in microwave and pour over the chopped gula melaka. Stir until the gula melaka dissolved.
- In a mixing bowl, exceptional for plain flour, using a balloon whisk, beat all (A) ingredients until light and fluffy. Then fold in the sifted flour. Set aside.
*Note: I poured the gula melaka mixture through the sieve when adding it to the batter. This would ensure that the mixture is smooth with no undissolved lumps.
- Using a mixer, beat egg whites until foamy, add in cream of tartar, continue beating and add in sugar in 3 separate batches. Beat until you attain firm peaks.
- Using a balloon whisk, fold the meringue into the yolk mixture in 3 batches. Change to a spatula for the last fold, and scrap off all the meringue by the side of the mixing bowl. Be sure there are no more streaks of meringue in the mixture.
- Bang the mixture few times on the table top to release air bubbles.
- Send the cake to bake at 150C for 70mins, by waterbath method.
- Once done, invert on cooling rack to cool. If you prefer a smooth surface, invert on a non-stick frying pan or cookie tray for 5-10min, unmould and remove baking paper then revert back to cool upright.
Chopped gula melaka into smaller pieces.
Stir and dissolved them with the heat-up milk.
Beat egg white until attain firm peaks.
Egg yolk mixture.
I'm in a little artistic mood, so played a bit with the batter on the cake top :)
Fresh from oven, puffed like a pillow! :P
Smooth top! And I think the hearts looked really cute!
So so soft!
Sliced nicely to served! :)