I made some slight modifications to the recipe for a stronger cheese flavour.
I really like the bright golden top!
*8" round cake
84g cake flour - sieved
84g condensed milk
200g cream cheese
58g canola oil
Pinch of salt
4tsp lemon juice
5 egg whites
75g castor sugar
1tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 170C and prepare baking tins (lined bottom and grease sides) for waterbath.
- Melt cream cheese by double boiling over stove. Once melted, whisk lightly to a smooth consistency. Set aside.
- Sieved flour, then add in salt. Set aside.
- Mix yolks, 1 egg and condensed milk until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat oil over stove. Once done, drizzle over sieved flour and quickly mix to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Pour yolk mixture into the cream cheese, mix well, then add in flour mixture, mix well then add in 4tsp lemon juice, whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, add in 1tsp lemon juice, then add sugar in 3 batches. Continue beating until attain firm peak.
- Fold in meringue to the yolk mixture by several batches. Be sure to fold till you don't see any streaks of meringue.
- Pour in batter to baking tin, tap few times on table top to release air bubbles.
- Send to bake by waterbath method. 170C for 20min, then 160C for another 45min.
- Once done, invert to cool for 5min and remove mould. Then revert back upright to cool completely.