*7" square pan
230g salted butter - softened (not till surface turn glossy)
4 egg yolks
200g self raising flour - sieved
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 egg whites
1tbsp cocoa powder - sieved
- Preheat oven at 170C. Line the base and grease the sides of baking tin.
- Cream butter & 150g sugar till light & fluffy. Add vanilla extract, continue whisking until well combined, then add in the egg yolks, one by one, mixing well after each addition.
- Add in half of the sieved flour and mix well on low speed. Then add in milk in 2 batches and mix until well combined. Finally add in the last portion of flour, mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until attained soft peaks, then gradually add 50g sugar and continue beating until attained stiff peak.
- Transfer half of the meringue into the yolk batter and mix until well combined. Then fold in the balance meringue in 2 batches.
- Divide batter into 2 portions. Fold in the sieved cocoa powder into one of them.
- Transfer cocoa batter first to baking tin, tap the tin on the counter few times to level the batter. Then add in half of the plain batter, try to cover the area as much as you can. With a fork/skewer, swirl lightly. Finally add in the balance plain batter, try to cover the marbled area as much as you can, then tap the tin again on the counter few times to release trapped air & level cake top.
- Send to bake for 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
- When baked, leave the tin upright to cool on rack. The sides will pull away after few mins, then invert the tin to remove the baking sheet and mould, then invert back up right to cool completely.