Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 January 2016

Baumkuchen (German version Kek Lapis)


A healthier version of the traditional Kek Lapis.  
Original recipe shared by Daniel Leong.


Ingredients
200g butter (as a personal preference, I use salted butter)
6 egg yolks
60g castor sugar
50g almond powder
100g plain flour
1tsp lapis spice*
50g milk
1tsp vanilla extract
2tsp rum*

60g castor sugar
6 egg whites

*these ingredients are optional.  I added them as I wanted a distinctive kek lapis taste.

Method

  1. Preheat oven at 240C.
  2. Grease and line 6” square baking tin.
  3. Sieve flour with lapis spice.  Set aside.
  4. Beat butter with 60g sugar until fluffy, then add in yolk, one at a time, until well combined.
  5. Add milk, vanilla & rum until well combined.
  6. Mix in sieved flour mixture & almond powder until well combined.  Set aside.
  7. Beat egg whites until foamy, then add in remaining 60g sugar gradually, and continue whisking until attained firm peak.
  8. Fold in meringue mixture into yolk mixture.
  9. Change your oven to ‘top heat’ mode.
  10. Using a ladle, transfer 2 scopes to the baking tin.  Using the back of a spoon/spatula, level the batter.  Sent to bake for 3-5mins, or until the top turns brown.
  11. When the first layer is down, remove from oven and transfer baking tin to a heat resistant surface.  Using a lapis press (I don’t have one, so I used the back of a frying spatula), lightly press down the cake surface to release any air bubbles.  Then repeat step#10 for the next layer.
  12. Repeat the step#10 & #11 until you finish all the batter.  For the last layer, keep the cake in the oven for extra 10-15mins, or till the top turns to desired brown.
  13. Once baked, remove and leave to cool completely on cooling rack.
Original recipe shared by Daniel.

This is the lapis spice that I used.


Egg whites to be beaten till firm peak.

My final batter.

I used this ladle.

Level 2 scope of batter for each layer.

First layer baked.
(I should have bake them for few mins longer to get it more browned!)

When I was baking the first few layers, I used the back of a small baking tin (the size of a muffin) to act as my 'press'.

Once it got higher, I used the back of a frying spatula to press down each layer.

I'm using a conventional oven.  Selecting 2 Level Convection Bake for top heat mode.

Baked and done!  I love the brown top!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.